Friday, August 24, 2007

Midnight Chicken

I don't always get paid for the medicines with money up here and the things I often do get seem better anyway.
This one night I remember is a good example. I had been checking in on a cancer patient through the day while everyone else in the house was at work.
It was about a mile walk each way and half of that uphill (at least one way) but I chugged along anyway and usually there was something brought to me from town as well as my mail when the day was done.

One night everyone and everything was very late, but someone had brought me a bag of fried chicken home for dinner.

So about 11:30 PM I am finally done with my day and walking home back up the very primitive mountain road. There was no moon, but I had a flashlight to be sure I wouldn't rudely step on anyone, especially someone who might bite.

I was plodding happily along thinking how much I would enjoy getting home and kinda letting the grocery bags swing back and forth with my walking. The smell was driving me crazy because I was "hungry as a bear" and that's when it dawned on me -

"I am walking up the side of bear mountain through the wild forest at midnight with a giant, fresh bag of fried chicken!"

Hon-O! I hurried along a little faster - and it must have been fast enough because I'm here to write this note to you!

'Till next time,

Dr. Karl Buchanan

No comments: