Monday, August 27, 2007

Lightning Boy!

This one is over seven years old but it'll be short and fast!

When I first came to Marion County, Arkansas, I was enamored of the forest abundance and greatly comforted by the "plethora" of organic raw materials. I was always afraid we might not have car or cash if something went wrong and I was very "Gilligan's Island" about something "back up" for everything possible in the Med Box, including home made casting, coumadin and paregoric.

I was just so excited about all the food and medicines laying right there at our feet I couldn't talk about it enough, and we did eat richly in those early days because I had the time and was always in the forest. I was intently studying the anatomy & identification of wild mushrooms at that time also and so it seemed to me that God had brought me finally back to a green heaven I could understand and frolick in. (You know you're in a good humor when you're giving God the credit...)

So, we are all gathered in the first shelter there and the sky begins to darken. Very quickly a thick storm rolled in and began to drop the blessed rain on us in buckets!

I, in a rush of eager enthusiasm, dashed out the door and started heading up the flint & mud mess we call a road determined to visit ALL the beautiful mushroom patches I was sure would be bathing themselves gloriously in the downpour with the promise of great things to come!

I was about 1,000 feet from the building there when the lightning suddenly seemed to be very large and very, very close. I stopped looking down and looked up.
"My God! I am a middle aged over-educated U.S. adult standing flat-on-top of a mountain in the broad open of a lightning field!"
I told you it would be short and fast! Just like me getting fast back to that school house being as short as I could get and still move it!

Yours in the "Natural State",
Dr. Karl Buchanan, lightning dodger!

No comments: